Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New year, new plan, new me



Background
Last time I worked out was in college, clocking in @ 150lbs with nice abs. That was five years ago. My body handled the rest well for a while but then around 25, it started showing signs (read curves) in random places. There was this one short period two years ago when I went to the gym five times a day, but that was just the result of my ex breaking up with me and running like a mad man on a treadmill was all I could do not to go postal on everyone around me. It lasted 2 months. Back to collecting Glycerols and fatty acids. Today I'm 170lbs, nice fluffy belly, drooping love handles and I can't fit in my jeans. My girlfriend always asks me why I need new jeans, "you just got a pair!" Well, honestly it's because they're a little tight around the waist, again. At 28, I'm turning the page, time for a new chapter.

The Plan
The plan consists of three different elements found around the web. But mostly all of it was inspired by Leo Babauta's blog zenhabits.net.

1) From couch to 5k in 8 weeks - This is a combination of interval running/walking from Coolrunning.com and DJ Steve Boyett's free Podrunner mixes found on his site in the form of podcasts.

2) The hundred push ups training program - Six week training program to complete 100 consecutive push ups. This is to define abs, triceps, shoulders and torso.

3) The two hundred sit-ups training program- Six week training program to complete 200 consecutive sit ups. This is to increase core strength, physical performance, as well as maintaining good posture and preventing injury.

So far today
This is the third week of couch to 5k. I didn't post before because I wanted to be sure I was committed before sharing to the world. I'm not going to lie, the first two weeks were excruciating. Combination of bitter cold and five years of bare minimum walking did not help. But I got through it, even waking up at five a.m. on occasion to make sure I went out there and got my blood flowing.

Here's a few stats:
1st week - 1 mile in 20 minutes, mostly walking
2nd week - 2.5 miles in 20 minutes, half walking
3rd week - ~3 miles in 30 minutes, mostly running

I don't consider myself a pro-runner yet but what an improvement! Yesterday I felt pretty good physically so I decided to add the next two components: push ups and sit ups.
These two programs work on a three day per week method with one day rest in between.
So I started on the push ups. First an initial test is required:

The red is me, not bad I thought! I'm not at the bottom...but then came the fist day chart:



I did it! Even though I'm dragging my arms today, I completed day 1. Will I be able to do 100 push ups consecutively in 6 weeks? Time will tell. Tonight is sit ups.

I've changed quite a few things in my life all at the same time. Most people will disagree with my way of tackling this problem saying to much at once and you will be discouraged. Well this is what works for me. It's like going to the dentist when you have more than one cavity. Do you want to come back several times to hear that drill? Not me, I'd rather suck it up and get it all done at once.
I've also changed my eating habits but remember I'm French. This is probably the hardest part of this ordeal. I suck at cooking/eating "healthy" (nothing wrong with a little cream). If any of you have tips on this matter, I would really welcome your feedback.

Stay tuned for weekly updates

Useful links

www.zenhabits.net - one of the most inspiring blogs on the net

www.dailymile.com - I keep all my running stats on here and share it with others in my area

www.djsteveboy.com - Get all your podrunner mixes here. 5k, 8k, 10k or 135bpm to 180bpm

www.hundredpushups.com - Full 6 week program

www.zune.net - Get a Zune and start training ;)

1 comment:

  1. My Tips:
    1. BE CAREFUL!! i understand wanting to tackle it all at once mais doucement baby!!
    2. don't get injured...make sure you stretch lots
    3. drink tons of water
    4. get enough sleep
    5. i don't think you need to change what you eat, or even how much....just when you eat it (cough cough eat some breakfast)

    congrats!! keep it up and i may not recognize you when i get home! i think its great what you are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete